Computer Adaptive Assessments
The AM-PAC™ on PAC-Metrix fully embraces this technology and provides the most comprehensive assessment available.
- Since all the questions in the Item Bank (269 of them) are scaled from most impaired to least impaired, the Computer Adaptive
- Assessment uses the patient’s answers to move up or down the scale to find the best question to ask next.
- Given the relative difficulty to perform a task in in the item bank, the patient’s answer determines if a more difficut or less difficult question should be asked next. This dynamic selection of questions results in a dramatically reduced set of questions.
Assess based on Fewer Questions
In this example, the Computer Adaptive assessment has scored the Basic Mobility domain. In only 7 questions a score of 60.54 with a Standard Error of 1.94 was generated. Using a paper-based Short Form (Generic Outpatient version) to score the same assessment would require 18 questions to come to a score of 60.94 with a Standard Error of 1.68. While the Standard Error is slightly better with the Short Form, it requires 11 more questions to achieve this outcome!
Complete the Assessment Quickly!
The chart to the right illustrates the amount of time needed to complete the AM-PAC™ assessment across a sample of 826 patients. As expected, younger patients were generally able to complete the assessments faster than older patients. The biggest cause of extended time, however, was the number of domains being assessed. Across the entire sample:
- Assessments with one domain averaged 2 minutes 15 seconds (7.4 questions)
- Assessments with two domains averaged 4 minutes 13 seconds (15.7 questions)
- Assessments with all three domains averaged 5 minutes 37 seconds (24.2 questions)
This patient sample illustrates the relative speed with which the assessments can be completed.
Accuracy and Brevity
The electronic AM-PAC™ uses technology to present your patients with the fewest possible questions to generate an accurate and reliable assessment. Generally the electronic assessment asks between one-third to one-half of the questions of the paper Short Form – yet still provides a more accurate and more consistent assessment than paper forms can produce.
Patient Home Assessment
The electronic AM-PAC™ automatically generates a secure patient internet link that can allows the patient to take the assessment anywhere – even at home. If you are tired of spending your 60 minutes of treatment taking assessments, you can shift this burden outside of the treatment time and let the patient take the assessment from the comfort of their own home.
Patient & Therapist Reports
The electronic AM-PAC™ automatically generates a Patient Assessment Report at the end of every assessment. this report summarizes the critical data collected and provides it to you for inclusion in the patients medical record, or into your electronic medical record. Additional reporting allows you as therapist to see how your patients are improving.
Implementation & Configuration
PAC-Metrix offers a number of configurable options which allow you to adapt it to your workflow. Since the AM-PAC™ requires the patient’s participation, different organizations like to manage the patient’s flow through the appointment in different ways to maximize effectiveness. This is especially important to make sure that the patient answers the questions effectively and questions get answered in a timely manner.
- Therapists or therapy assistants with laptops can administer the assessment with the patient.
- Facilities with tablets (such as an iPad) can give the patient the assessment during a break in the session.
- Some organizations use a computer or laptop in the gym area as a shared resource to administer the assessment.
- A dedicated computer can be place in the waiting area if it is large enough and patients can perform a simple identification process to take their assessment.
PAC-Metrix also supports integration from external systems. Using this integration, patients can be registered and accounts established automatically. Completion of the Account creation process requires manual intervention, but with the automation option, this effort is significantly reduced.
There is no cookie cutter solution to implementing PAC-Metrix in your facility. If you would like to discuss the implementation options that would be best for you, please complete the contact form below and a Mediware team member will contact you to set up a conversation.