The Year Isn’t Over Yet! Time to Focus on the New OT/PT CPT Codes
SIMPLIFY CPT CODING!
Discover the remarkably powerful rules engine in MediLinks
Just as we all gear down from the rush of assuring our inpatient rehab facilities were ready for the new quality measures effective October 1, 2016, it is now time to gear up for the new OT/PT CPT codes that were identified in the final rule released the first of November.
If you need a refresher as to what these new codes are, refer to the link at end of this blog.
On the surface, it seems that implementing these new codes is fairly straightforward because these are just new CPT codes, right? Well, it might not be as cut and dried as it appears. Below are a few things to keep in mind as your facility starts the implementation process.
• New CPT codes will require new charge codes. Meet with the department that manages your charge master. Provide the staff with the new CPT codes and deadlines as to when you need these available for testing and/or placed into production.
• Determine the workflow expectations for OT/PT in selecting which evaluation codes to be used. Take into consideration your current documentation system and any modifications needed to accommodate the selection of the appropriate codes. Remember that with these new codes, justification is needed as to why that particular evaluation was selected.
• Plan for transition from 2016 to 2017 codes. I’m sure no one wants to be working on New Year’s Eve to switch from 2016 codes to 2017 codes. Can your documentation system be configured to prompt users to select codes based on date?
• Update your current documentation system. If you have access to a test system, complete all of the new configuration in this environment first.
• Don’t forget outbound billing interface testing! If your documentation system interfaces with a billing system, be sure to include testing of these new codes with the interface.
• Training! Include time for education of staff on how to utilize the new codes and the transition plan.
Keeping all of the little pieces of what is involved in an implementation in mind will assist in a smooth transition in the new year.