Your Annual Report: 5 Steps to Increase Funding and Impact Your Community
Adapted from a webinar presented by Gerry Leslie & Jason
Weller from the Michigan Coalition Against Homelessness
|You can download the slides, commentary and sample reports featured in the webinar by filling out the form at right.|
Your Annual Report offers a unique opportunity to promote your organization. You can raise new funds. Gain media attention. Increase volunteerism. And enhance public policy. Yet without the right planning, it can also be a daunting 6-month journey.
Download this 5-step blueprint to turn your annual report into a powerful vehicle for change. You will gain proven, easy-to-implement advice for each stage of the report-building process:
- Establish a framework. You’ll gain tips to build an initial outline based on the needs of your stakeholders, the hypotheses you will research and the outcome measures and indicators you will focus on.
- Validate the Data. It’s essential to check the accuracy of your data, given all the different players who touch it over the course of a year. We’ll review ways to review, correct and standardize your numbers so that they hold up to media and funder scrutiny.
- Analyze the Results. You may run dozens or hundreds of reports to uncover the true state of your community. Some trends will be obvious, others will be surprises. You’ll see examples of how to validate the data and work with people on the ground to build a compelling story.
- Prepare for Release. It’s critical to control the narrative, so that all your stakeholders (funding sources, legislators, agencies, the media) are on the same page. You will learn how to hold effective pre-release meetings that satisfy the competing agendas of various stakeholders.
- Release the Report. We’ll cover examples of media events, government visits, and other methods to maximize the effectiveness of your Annual Report.
Gerry Leslie, Project Director, and Jason Weller, Director of Provider Support and Marketing, both from the Michigan Coalition Against Homelessness, shared their experience putting together the annual report for one of the nation’s largest nonprofit membership organizations. You can download the slides, commentary and sample reports featured in the webinar by filling out the form at right.