It’s nearing the end of the year and before you know it, the deadline to submit federally-mandated National Aging Program Information Systems (NAPIS) reports will be here. Below are seven tips to help make your NAPIS reporting season a bit merrier this year.
1. Install the NAPIS reporting tool *now * and test it to make sure it works for you.
2. Check for obvious errors by using the 2-year comparison report; if something is off from last year’s numbers by over 1,000 percent, perhaps there is an accidental extra digit involved somewhere.
3. Be early and complete the process well before the last minute! Submit your report as soon as it’s ready and complete the certification process early, too.
4. This year’s reports will be used to help evaluate the impact of the sequester; if your state has a story to tell, take the time to tell it in your narratives.
- Get your data in before the deadline to help the Administration for Community Living (ACL) prepare its reports to Health and Human Services (HHS), Congress, and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).
- For NAPIS State Program Report (SPR) filers, getting your Nutrition Services Incentives Program (NSIP) data in early and as accurately as possible is critical to this year’s national analysis.
5. Visit the ACL Data Community Portal at https://aoadatacommunity.us/login/index.php for step-by-step install instructions and much more!
- Preseason webinars and the associated presentations are posted there so you can view the recording if you missed the event.
- Links are provided to training, forms, instructions, and a whole host of other items including technical documentation.
6. Build in your data quality throughout the year – it’s SO much easier to do monthly or quarterly cleanup than to tackle a year of errors at the last minute.
- Make a New Year’s resolution NOW to run a quarterly report and fix any data entry problems in smaller chunks during 2014.
- Allow those who make errors to correct them and you’ll cut down over time on the number of errors made.
- Set achievable targets, like reducing missing data to less than 5%, and talk to Harmony about how we can help you get there.
7. Harmony is available 24×7 to help you with any issues that keep you from getting your filing in. After hours, weekends, holidays, through January 31, just call us at 703-657-1463.