Patient Blood Management Saves Lives, Blood, and Money
- Blood transfusion is the most common procedure patients receive while in the hospital. Although blood transfusion therapy can be life-saving, careful consideration must be given to the associated dangers.
- The more transfusions patients receive, the greater the risk of complications including hospital-acquired anemia, infection, organ damage and even death.
- Over the past 15 years, many clinical studies have determined that the risks often outweigh the benefits.
- Most physicians ordering blood products lack formal training and base decisions on guidance received in medical school when liberal transfusion practices were the norm.
Use blood more wisely with Mediware Consulting & Analytics
Mediware can help you implement and maintain an effective blood management program that ensures each and every transfusion is necessary, appropriate, safe and the most efficient use of the many resources involved in the complex process of blood component therapy. These resources extend well beyond blood products to include nursing time, technologist time, medical supplies, medical devices, laboratory tests, pharmaceuticals, hospital beds and healthcare dollars.
Mediware Consulting & Analytics delivers:
- Benchmarking & Dashboard Analytics – to identify and prioritize where to focus your efforts
- Clinical Expertise – to educate your clinical teams on the science
- Proven Change Management Process – to gain buy-in and shift the attitudes, behavior and culture of the organization toward better blood use in less time
- Program Resources – to build awareness, maintain project focus and manage day-to-day performance.